Jun 22, 2010

I don't care if we're the same size, my shoes aren't going to fit you.

I remember in third grade at school, my friend Nathan randomly asked me if I could walk in someone elses shoes for a day, who would I choose? At first, because I was only 8 years old, I thought he mean litteral shoes. I wasn't sure why he would want to go trying on someone elses shoes. I wasn't too dumb though because it wasn't long before I figured out what he actually meant: If I could live the life of anotherfor a day, who would it be?

I wasn't sure who I would choose, but apparently Nathan would choose one of the kids in the class that was given easier work because they struggled, that way he could get their grades up and most likely be rewarded. At the time I probably just thought that was a practical idea then went on to play with lego or draw dragons or whatever it was I did in year 3. I don't even know if Nathan remembers; I doubt we have the same random flashbacks of childhood. The memory just occured to me the other day when I was daydreaming -I mean, paying close attention to the world war one video in history- and it made me think, how would I answer that question now if Nathan asked me?

I wouldn't think he meant litteral shoes (I don't think. . . ), but would I still be unsure of my answer? Maybe I would say something like "Rachel McAdams. I'd be rich and famous for a day and wouldn't even have to get used to answering to a different name" or maybe an equally sarcastic answer. But then I would probably, as I inevitably must, consider it seriously afterwards. Am I really happy enough with who I am to say I wouldn't want to be anyone else for a day? Is anyone?

Something to ponder.

JustMe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Perhaps you would like to comment about soup? No? OK whatever works for you.